Academy of Style
This program is for students who love working with hair, have an artistic flair and enjoy working with people. Students who successfully complete the requirements of the Cosmetology program will have the opportunity to take the Michigan State Board Examination to become a licensed cosmetologist. The Cosmetology program will provide training at the Academy of Style, a licensed cosmetology school at 1100 Michigan Ave., Marysville. The Academy of Style operates a full service salon that is open to the public.
All students will be supplied with a cosmetology kit, which remains the property of St. Clair TEC.
Students begin their training in the classroom where they study:
- Diseases of hair and skin
- Hair anatomy/physiology
- Head/face/neck anatomy and physiology
- Michigan law
- Theory of bacteriology
- Theory of electricity (electrotherapy)
- Treatment of scalp
Students practice techniques on mannequins in the training lab. After 350 hours in the classroom and lab, students are approved for advanced training on the salon floor working on actual customers.
Cosmetology program salon services include:
- Eyebrow wax, facials and tweezing
- Hair and scalp treatments including clarifying and reconditioning
- Haircoloring including bleach, highlights and lowlights
- Haircuts for adults and children
- Hairstyling including shampoo/style and updos
- Make over package including make-up, manicure and hairstyle
- Nail treatments including gel, sculpted, tips, wraps and pedicures
- Spiral permanents
Please Note: This is a state-certified program of instruction, and 1,500 hours of attendance is mandatory. Students are responsible for their transportation on Saturdays, during the summer, and throughout their senior year. All students must enter this program as high school juniors.
The Academy of Style
1100 Michigan Ave., Suite F, Marysville, MI 48040
To schedule an appointment: (810) 364-3661
Wednesday–Friday, 11:30 a.m.–4 p.m.
Saturday, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.