The transition to kindergarten is a process among partners rather than an event happening to a child.
Families and children are not the only ones transitioning to kindergarten. It is important for all participants to collaborate in making a successful and smooth transition. Partners include the school, family, children and community.
School to Children
- To increase children's familiarity with the kindergarten setting.
- To provide experiences for children to build positive relationships with staff and with peers who are transitioning with them into kindergarten.
School to Family
- To increase collaboration between families and staff and promote parent involvement within the school.
- To build an appropriate and culturally relevant partnership between family and school which supports positive school outcomes.
School to School/Community
- To promote continuity within the transition process and facilitate cohesion in services offered to children.
- To coordinate and integrate effective communication between schools and community regarding the transition plan.
- To collaborate with community members to connect students, families and staff to expanded learning opportunities, community services and civic participation.
Download a printable version of Section 2: Transition Connections Save