The vision, enthusiasm, commitment, and leadership skills of the people who fill the roles of the leadership team are critical to the success of the transition planning process.
Transition teams are an important part to a successful transition plan within a district and individual buildings. The transition team can include:
- Kindergarten teachers
- School counselor
- Preschool representatives
- Health services
- Special education teachers
- Early Childhood Special Education representatives
- Parent Educators
- Head Start representatives
- Special education service providers
- Community agency representatives
- Parents of current kindergarten students
- Parents of incoming kindergarten students
- School district central office administrators
- English as a Second Language teachers
- Community librarian
This team can be created at the district and/or school level. When creating the team, consider who would make a strong addition to the transition team for your district/building and be sure to invite the individuals to each meeting.
The team is responsible for creating a timeline, planning activities, and implementing the transition plan.
A transition needs assessment can be done using the free Ready Schools Assessment through High/Scope.
Download a printable version of Section 3: Transition Teams